Thursday, March 13, 2008

Window Work

This weekend was a good reality check that I'm not as young as I think I am. Not because of work on the house, but because of a football game that interrupted my usual Saturday routine, and a flag football game at that! It was a blast, but man was I sore the next day! Aside from hobbling around the house this weekend, we did get some work done.

The wall around the kitchen windows is now painted a nice, rich red. It adds some nice color to our otherwise black and white kitchen. We also had my dad's help on Saturday getting the trim installed around the kitchen windows. I really like the trim that Stacie picked out. The kitchen is really starting to have a finished appearance.

We got the kitchen light trim kits installed so we now have kitchen lights! Much better that the work light I've been using the last several weeks!

Our microwave is now in place, though the vent isn't connected. Once we start using the stove we will need to connect the microwave to a vent that will vent the exhaust through the back wall. We are waiting on that since it could introduce leaks until the stucco is on.

We also picked our tile for the kitchen backsplash and the flooring we are going to use. We are going with a white subway tile backsplash that will have a band of glass tile running through it to add some visual interest. For the flooring we chose a nice plank laminate with a hand-scraped appearance. We went with a higher end laminate for durability/value reasons. It will stand up to abuse better than any other option (though it can't be refinished) and is much cheaper than solid wood.

This week it's on to the tile and flooring work. This weekend I hope to get all the uncut subway tiles set. The glass tile was a special order and will arrive next week. So, next week I will rent the wet tile saw to do all the cut pieces and the glass tile. After that I will start working on the finished flooring. Once the flooring is in we can install the appliances and move in! It's hard to imagine that we are actually that close!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the renovations that are being done. The kitchen lighting pictures look especially good.